Ad

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Today's Feature- My New Listings


Burr its a cold one today, well -5c isn't that cold but after this weekend it sure does seem cold.  It definitely felt cold yesterday when it started to snow when I was on the lookout for new listings. Lately, I have been on the hunt for crochet blankets or throws that feature the Granny Square pattern.  What is a Granny Square, you ask?  

A Granny Square is a blanket that comprises of squares that resemble course lace. The crafter starts in the center and works outwards, usually using many different colours.  Many times these Granny Square projects are made from the crafters scrap yarn, meaning that the crafter is using up the leftover yarn ends from previous projects.  This almost always results in a very colourful, artistic piece of work. I find that I can stare at these pieces of art for hours, always finding new colours, patterns and stitches to admire. I would say their are 2 different styles of Granny Square blankets.  One is where the crafter creates multiple small squares, called motifs, then assembles them together to make one larger object such as clothing, or blankets. The other style of Granny Square is when the crafter again starts in the middle and then keeps working their way out until they create on large square. Yesterday, at a local antique store, I found some amazing Granny Square throws, featuring both styles. Today I'm going to share those finds with you. 

I found 4 Granny Square style throws, I am quite certain that these 4 throws where created by the same artist.  Seeing all 4 are matching throws, featuring the same types and colors of yarn but with different designs. Back in the 1970's, when this style of crocheting was very popular people did not throw anything away, resulting in creations of many colours. Granny Squares are often multicoloured because it is an effective way to use up small amounts of yarn.  (Not like todays world where everything, even cars, are considered throw away.) Whoever created these beauties was a very creative, resourceful, and talented artist. I call them, the creators of quilts and crocheted items, artist because I feel they more then deserve that title.  For example, take a good look at this first creation. 

Did you notice how the creator kept the same colour palette throughout? By using pinks, greens, and browns. Now I feel that takes a very artistic creator to be able to create a piece of art that is aesthetically pleasing to ones eye. Imagine if the artist would have thrown in a bright all red square, and how that would of thrown off the whole aesthetics of the piece.


Did you notice that very retro mustard orange colour? (One of my favorite colours, by the way.) This mustard orange coloured yarn is what makes these 4 throws match and leaves me to believe that they where created by the same artist. As you can see from this second creation that the artist used some of the same yarn as the first creation. 

As you can see from the picture above that throw 2 is the second style of granny square that I mentioned earlier. Where the creator made one large square.  If you look closely you can see how the yarn randomly changes colours throughout the expansion from the middle square.



Although it is similar to throw 1 with similar colours of yarn, the design is quite different.  The artist even added a different medium to this throw.  The smaller orange, green, brown and yellow, squares comprising of the border are actually knitted, not crocheted.  These knitted squares also add another element to this throw. Being of a different medium, knit, they are heavier than the regular crochet square. This results in the border being almost like a collard frill, like a ruff clowns collar.

Again the artist created a very pleasing colour pallet throughout the throw.

Throw 3, features the smaller Granny Squares like throw 1.  This time the artist kept to a mint green and purple theme.  Just like the first 2 throws the creator has brought it all together with the mustard orange yarn. 


I normally am a person who is attracted to pattern. For example if I was creating a Granny Square throw I would have to have a pattern to it, corners would be solid, flanked with a multi-coloured flower square, then solid. The second row would have to be opposite; flower, solid, flower, and so on. The artist that created these blankets must not of had my level of OCD, lol. I admire that the artist was able to create a totally random yet pleasing pattern.

With throw 4 we return to the one large Granny square technique. This time the border consists of small Granny Squares that are more similar to the small Granny squares in throws 1 and 3. This time the creator satisfies my OCD by creating a pattern amongst the smaller Granny squares in the border.  Do you see it?

I really admire the different colors in this artist's creation. My favorite part is the middle where the creator used multicoloured yarn, it almost creates a vortex effect as if your going to get sucked into the blanket.

I would have to say that the Granny square pattern of crocheting is my favorite style of crochet. Currently, am trying to teach myself how to crochet, but I can't seem to get past the first row. I have known how to knit since I was a young girl, my Grandma Rhoda taught me when I was very young.  By the time I became a teen I had forgotten the teaching of my grandmother. Surprisingly enough my dad was able to teach me how to knit again, and this time it stuck. I was very fortunate to find these beautiful creations. They have inspired me to stick to learning how to crochet so I can create my own master pieces.  If you would like for these master pieces to revisit your home, click on one of the links that will take you to my Poshmark page.  Bundle all 4 throws for a special price.

https://poshmark.ca/closet/patchesoftime


Credit to 2nd Chance Antiques & Collectables where I found these beautiful throws and the very helpful owners. Check out their facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1262660453762936

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Feature- My New Listings

Burr its a cold one today, well -5c isn't that cold but after this weekend it sure does seem cold.  It definitely felt cold yesterday wh...