Ad

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Todays Feature Vintage Patchwork Quilt

 I am still trying to figure out how I'm going to make a blog out of Vintage textiles that anybody would ever want to read. If nobody does, it is still a good way to get my thoughts out of my head.  Working in heath care during a pandemic is tough, it is physically, mentally and emotionally draining. I do get that right now is hard for everyone, but at least others get to go get dressed for work, you know put on that outfit that makes you feel good. We wear scrubs, we have to change before and after work, so most of the times I wear my pjs to work, then when I get home I can go straight to bed, lol.  Heath care workers laugh at that little joke, because it is true.  Right now we are so exhausted when we get home that's all we want to do.  Due to Covid, the heath region has added a bunch of restrictions and extra precautions to keep out residents safe. But at what cost? They have restrictions of how many, if any, visitors a resident can have, I get it, I understand that this is for their safety.  Its hard to watch residents succumb to their disease such a dementia without their loved ones their to capture their last lucid moments.  Situations like this make long-term care hard, I can even imagine how the staff in the hospitals are managing with the increase work load that they have endured. Today I had enough, I have started to do little things to try and get me out of my funk, to divert my focus away from the stresses of Covid.  

Today I worked out, did my hair and got dressed! Now the last time I did this my youngest daughter did not recognize me when I went to pick her up after school. Kudos for her for not getting into the car with a stranger, haha. I decided to wear a vintage button up blouse that I recently thrifted.  I have listed it on my poshmark closet, but I might take it down.  I really enjoy the yellow, green, brown and orange striped pattern, mostly because it is so random.  The shirt also has these grey watermark flowers printed over the stripes, it makes me feel like I'm ready for summer. If it ever comes, it snowed again last night. Ignore my resting b!tch face.


While I was getting dressed and dusting on my Mary Kay eyeshadow (I always try to support other women with their small businesses), I came up with the idea to feature an item that I have for sale on days that I have time to post.  Seeing to day is my day off, I'm going to feature This Vintage Patchwork Quilt.



https://poshmark.ca/listing/Vintage-Patchwork-Quilt-Full-60428b26e2c432c8a8ced857

This quilt screams 70's with its colorful polyester squares.  The squares are salvaged from scrap material. Most likely from the artist favorite dresses. When you look close up on the squares you can see that some of them have seams, some of them are textured with a pattern.  When I hold this quilt and let my mind wander to what outfits these little squares might have been. I think about a mom with a black beehive in a teal green fitted dress that come to just above the knee. Of course she would have a matching head band placed precisely infront of her beehive bump.  She is dressed up, at a cocktail party with her friends holding a martini. 





Each of these little 4 inch squares has been quilted to the golden yellow backing also in polyester.  The backing is a bright and cheerful yellow, golden almost a orange.  My old Samsung phone does not capture the beauty of that color.  Hopefully when this snow melts I can go outside to get a better picture of the back that captures it's true colours.


Now it is time for me to go pick my kids up for lunch, here's hoping that the little ones recognize me this time, lol.  I will leave a few more pictures of this quilt to be admired. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's Feature- My New Listings

Burr its a cold one today, well -5c isn't that cold but after this weekend it sure does seem cold.  It definitely felt cold yesterday wh...